Watch our webinar to hear Dr Juan Tauri – a.k.a The Indigenous Criminologist – present on the challenges and opportunities for improving Māori justice outcomes, following the recent social sector reforms. These have the potential to make significant changes to allow for a more just system and society in Aotearoa.
Dr Tauri will bring his experience from working in the public sector and academia in Aotearoa and overseas to share his insights, cynicism and hopes for radical change and how we as public, private, social and community sector organisations need to lead systemic change.
Where to from here?
There are many ways to take action:
- Join with the work of groups such as Just Speak who advocate for change.
- Read ‘Inaia Tonu Nei‘, the Māori advisory group justice report.
- Support Pillars to tautoko the children of prisoners.
- Support employment and development opportunities for those who have been incarcerated or in trouble with the justice system.
- Learn more about restorative justice.
- Have discussions with your colleagues and friends that can highlight the need for a justice system that creates real transformative change for those whose lives are significantly impacted by the system, both directly and indirectly.