In February 2015, YWCA Auckland embarked on a 12 month Redevelopment Project of our Future Leaders programme, our mentoring and leadership skills programme for young disadvantaged women aged 14-18. This was done in collaboration with the University of Auckland School of Counselling, Human Services and Social Work, Faculty of Education and Social Work, to ensure we are remaining relevant, meeting contemporary needs and evaluate opportunities to extend our reach. This has involved an extensive analysis of our qualitative and quantitative data from the last three years and has found that Future Leaders is having a powerful impact in the areas of increasing self-confidence and positive relationships, as well as increasing positive intellectual outcomes.
The review focused on answering these questions:
1. How do we make a difference in the lives of young women?
2. What need is there in their own community?
3. How can we extend the reach of our programme?
4. What is our programme Theory of Change?
5. How can we work in partnerships?
6. What would a sustainable long-term model look like?