Closing the Gap Prime Minister’s Report 2013
In 2008 Government Leaders from all around Australia agreed to a framework for tackling Indigenous disadvantage.
The six targets identified were:
• Closing the life expectancy gap within a generation (by 2031)
• Halving the gap in mortality rates for Indigenous children under five within a decade (by 2018)
• Ensuring all Indigenous four-year olds in remote communities have access to early childhood education within five years (by 2013)
• Halving the gap for Indigenous students in reading, writing and numeracy within a decade (by 2018)
• Halving the gap for Indigenous people aged 20–24 in Year 12 attainment or equivalent attainment rates (by 2020)
• Halving the gap in employment outcomes between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians within a decade (by 2018).
“Much progress has been made to address Indigenous disadvantage in the years since the Closing the Gap framework was agreed to. This year is a significant year for Closing the Gap. It is the year in which the first of the targets set back in 2008 will be achieved ensuring all Indigenous four-year olds living in remote communities have access to early childhood education within five years, or by 2013.”
Click here to read the report.