* grassroots experience of quality care in care facilities
* experience of Canterbury earthquake and relocation to Otago care facilities
* transitional experiences of family carers (see Aotearoa New Zealand Social Work Journal 2000)
* care at home for older people
* informal care, historically, and with a focus on early NZ and a wider focus on western cultures
Research with Dr Debra Waters, Assoc. Prof Leigh Hale, Dr Linda Robertson into physical improvement and social resilience. Significant in the social resilience component of this research is the use of older people as peer researchers.