The purpose of this document is to:
1. Provide Information about CALD population demographics and characteristics, increasing workforce diversity, service barriers, and why the need for cultural competence
2. Recommend Best Practice approaches to guide clinical leaders, management, funders, planners, health workforce working in DHB Provider Arm, the Primary Health and NGO sectors about:
– what is required to achieve the Best Practice Principles for CALD Cultural Competency Standards
– what is required to achieve cultural competencies for working with CALD service users and what cultural competency training and resources are available to support the workforce
– what are the competencies and training required for the workforce working in a multicultural health environment
CALD in this document refers to migrant and refugee populations from Asian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, and African (MELAA) backgrounds.