What is community circus, who is it for, what comes out of it and how can it be developed? These questions were the focus of a research project conducted from 2011 to 2013. Funded by the Lotteries Community Sector Research Fund, the project was initiated by Frances Kelliher and Thomas Hinz as a partnership between Circus Kumarani in Dargaville (www.circuskumarani.co.nz) and Auckland based researcher Rachael Trotman, with assistance from Alex Woodley (www.pointresearch.co.nz).
The research used five interrelated research methods.
• A nationwide online survey of community circus related organisations and
• An international literature review.
• Stakeholder interviews with 17 key players nationally and internationally.
• A workshop with 30 practitioners at the Auckland Circus Convention.
• Four case study evaluations of disability, school, preschool and high
achiever projects in Auckland and Dargaville.
All reports can be viewed online at www.communitycircus.co.nz and www.circuskumarani.co.nz. The overall report is available here. For more information about the research please contact Rachael Trotman on email@example.com.