As we receive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) around Whānau Ora Research and this website, we will post both the question and the answer here.
Q: What is Whānau Ora research?
A: The Whānau Ora approach is unique because it:
- Recognises a collective entity,
- Endorses a group capacity for self-determination,
- Has an inter-generational dynamic,
- Is built on a Māori cultural foundation,
- Asserts a positive role for whānau within society and can be applied across a wide range of social and economic sectors.
Action research, co-creation, participatory research, community-led research, and other forms of evaluation can utilise whanau ora approaches for design, data, analysis, building evidence and dissemination of results for programmes, funding and community practice.